Good morning, blog readers! I have a question for you. Have you ever heard of Patreon? I hadn’t until a couple of years ago and I thought it was kind of weird. Then I looked into it a bit more and decided it might be kind of a fun thing for my followers to get some exclusive access to things without me wasting my time or money.
So what is Patreon? It’s a website where you can become a patron of a creative person. Youtubers use it a LOT! I only know of two authors who use it, but that’s only because one is myself and the other is the person I got the idea from. And I haven’t gone searching to see if anyone else has done it. In my case, if you support me for $1 per month, you will get exclusive access to special unedited, or barely edited, sneak peeks and early drafts (or portions) of my books.
The more money you spend per month, the more exclusive content you can receive. If you ever want to stop paying, you can do so.
Why am I bringing this up now? Because the first exclusive sneak peek went up today! You can see a sneak peek at the sneak peek on the public page, but to unlock it, you would have to become a $1 or more patron.
Also, if I get 20 patrons, each patron will receive a special bookish swag! If I reach 100 patrons, you’ll all get to join a video call with me as a group!
Why am I doing this? There are a couple of reasons. One is that I love sharing things with my readers. Another is that it takes a lot of time to create my books and I honestly don’t get a lot of money for that time. Thirdly, I want to do some more creative things this year and I thought this might be a fun way to do it.
You can check my Patreon page for more details, but here are a few things that are included in various tiers:
- One eBook monthly of the books I publish
- As I finish the final edits of a book (before proofreading), you will receive each chapter and the full, proofread eBook when finished
- a signed paperback of each of my published books
- fun swag such as mini-book keychains, exclusive bookmarks, and more
- Help me name characters, especially the animals, and get credit for it in the Special Thanks section of my book
- Chat with me once a month for a half hour on Google Hangouts where we can simply talk about life, writing, or whatever (limit of 10)
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Patreon and the tiers I have set up. Did I miss something you’d love for me to include? Which tier would you prefer to join if you could?